Sorry, the captcha on my Email page stopped working. I fixed the issue, and you should now be able to contact me again.
Over the last month or so I have been updating the keyboard binding diagrams. You now select the type of keyboard before selecting the style or game. I also combed through the CSS stylesheets, looking for and fixing errors. I also tweaked the dimensions of each keyboard to better match the most common physical keyboard layouts. See the log for more information.
Also, today I uploaded all my files to pCloud and edited all the links on this site to point to there instead of to MediaFire. I’m not going to delete the files from MediaFire, but eventually the files will get removed automatically by the company and the links will go dead.
If you are having trouble registering/posting to this blog, please let me know using my Email form.
Over the past several weeks I have been overhauling my Video Game Hotkey Maps tool. I made several changes to the underlying database structure, as well as to the styles and error detection. I also went ahead and created new PHP scripts that generate SVG versions of the maps. This makes it possible to upload maps to MediaWiki wikis, which is a major goal I set out to accomplish when I first created the PHP edition of the tool. I had created a MediaWiki template to accomplish the same thing, but the SVG images are a lot more convenient. I hope a lot of people get good use out of these scripts.
I’ve also begun taking steps toward making this site work better on mobile devices. You may notice that the sidebar on the far left of this page disappears when you make the browser window really small. This should happen automatically on mobile devices.
I am still resolving issues with font sizes being too small to be legible, however. Hopefully I will learn what is causing this in the next few days.
I noticed this week that some links to tutorials I had written a long time ago had gone dead, either because the websites they were hosted at went down, or because the websites they were hosted at transitioned to a new content management system or wiki. I fixed these links where I could, and re-wrote them and incorporated them into my website where I couldn’t. See my POV-Ray, Lego, GearHead and Geometry pages.
Today I also started working on a new panoramic scene for GearHead (now abandoned by its creator, judging by the game’s website) based on my previous Spinner Colony scene. Since I bought a new computer I am able to render them much faster in POV-Ray.
Here’s a sneak peek:
Here are my latest two renders. I tried to render at a higher quality level, including atmospheric media and a nice area light, but it was simply taking too long. The source code can be found on my GearHead page.
(Click for larger views.)
After failing the first time, I decided to give blogging one more try. This is my first experience with WordPress, and I’m pretty happy that I got the design of the theme so close to that of the rest of the site. Maybe this time I won’t wipe everything by accidentally deleting the blog’s database. 😉
The website has undergone other changes as well. I discovered a lot of broken internal links from when the site was hosted under a .com domain instead of .net. My AdSense and other Google accounts were also messed up. Hopefully the search engines will pick up on my site again now that all that is fixed. I went from a peak of over 75k hits per month several years ago to under 10k hits per month when I lost the original domain to a cybersquatter.